Easy Homemade Tomato Sauce
A classic staple I make on repeat, homemade tomato sauce. Making it from scratch is so easy, fresh and flavorful you will never want to buy it in a jar again.
- Dutch Oven (or large pot)
- Emulsion Blender (or crush tomatos by hand)
- 28 oz San Marzano whole tomatoes canned
- 8-10 fresh basil leafs torn into small pieces
- 4-5 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes add more less depending on your preference
- 1 carrot peeled
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- parmesan rinds optional
- salt & pepper seasoned to your taste
- In a dutch oven or large pot add olive oil bring to medium heat. Add in freshly chopped garlic and sauté for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Be careful not to burn or brown the garlic. Add in red pepper flakes and sauté for another 1 minute.
- Add in whole peeled canned tomatoes and blend with an emulsion blender. Note: If you do not have an emulsion blender crush the tomatoes by hand before adding to pot.
- Add in the whole peeled carrot and parmesan rind to sauce. Bring heat down to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the parmesan rind and carrot and throw away.
- Add in butter, basil & season with salt and pepper. Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese and serve over noodles.
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @zezza_cooks on Instagram and hashtag it #zezzacooks.