I love a good pad thai or peanut sauce or well I use too! Over the years my body has become intolerable to peanuts and my allergen told me to stay away from all nuts (which lets just say really sucks). Nuts are literally in everything, especially the healthy stuff. One day I had a strong craving for peanut butter and came across sunflower seed butter, I was skeptical but after trying it fell in love. I personally now think it’s better than real peanut butter. It’s just much more creamy with a roasted nutty flavor and turns out it is actually healthier for you!
Spicy Thai Mushroom Lettuce Wraps
This light and easy recipe has nice savory nutty sauce with an added kick! Personally I love spice so I love to add in some extra chili garlic hot sauce. Have you ever had chili garlic hot sauce? It’s my go to hot sauce especially if I am cooking asian or thai food. The taste is similar to Sriracha but with more complex flavors. The spicy thai lettuce wraps are packed with veggies making it perfect for a light healthy lunch or appetizer.
- Sautee Pan
- Sharp knife
- 1 head bib or butter lettuce
- 1 tbsp sunflower seed butter (or peanut butter works)
- 8 oz white mushrooms chopped
- 1/4 cup carrots chopped
- 8 oz can water chestnuts chopped
- 1/4 cup white onion chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 jalapeno thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- sirracha or chili garlic sauce for serving optional
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp water
- In a large sauté pan add olive oil and heat to medium-high. Add onion to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add in mushrooms, carrots and water chestnuts to the pan. Sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- In a pyrex measuring cup or small bowl add garlic powder, honey or maple syrup, water, soy sauce and sesame oil. Whisk with a fork until smooth and well blended.
- Add the sauce to the pan and mix well. Break the lettuce leaves off the heads, put them in a large bowl or on a plate. Add a spoonful of the mushroom mixture to each lettuce leaf (leaf sizes will vary so fill to your discretion). Top with sesame seeds, jalapeño slices and hot sauce (optional).